I have recently become addicted to Pinterest. At first I was kind of flummoxed: what is the point? Saving collections of pretty pictures? But then I realized I could use it to keep track of recipes. Cool! And then I realized I could use it to look at all the recipes other people were keeping track of. And then I forgot to sleep.
- I used Andouille sausage- because it’s Jambalaya! There’s a really good, cheap brand I get at the store and it adds quite a spicy punch to the recipe.
- I added probably an extra half teaspoon of spice mix (Emeril Spice, of course).
- I used fire-roasted canned tomatoes (also predictably), fresh oregano because I had it on hand
- I added the shrimp during the last five minutes of cooking, not the last half hour, thus avoiding shrimp jerky.
- I halved the recipe. It was still a huge amount of food.
While most stewed things get better the next day, the rice turns kind of gummy the longer it sits, so this is better eaten fresh. That said, the flavor was awesome, and it was really, really easy. This would be a great dish to bring to a potluck or for a casual dinner party. You can feed a boatload of people and it’s really, really tasty and satisfying.