When we get a lot of lettuce from the CSA, especially that beautiful red Romain, I like to do a “roll your own springrolls” night. There’s no set recipe, just a bunch of stuff out on plates that we can roll up in rice paper and eat. Here’s a list of possible ingredients:
cooked pork, chicken, or beef
Getting the rolls to work is really all about setup:
- Soak rice paper round for about 15 seconds in water
- Spread out on towel
- Coat lightly with sauce of your choice – I like Hosin
- Add a leaf of lettuce
- Add a little handful of rice noodles
- Dress with anything else you like
- Add herbs of your choice
- Roll up burrito style – fold in the edges and then roll tightly.
The setup is a bit of work depending on how many options you want, but its a great healthy, fresh, light dinner. And it’s fun at a party and way less work than making sushi rice!